As more and more information comes into the world about COVID-19 and closings, we can easily become overloaded and overwhelmed. We have difficulties handling all the emotions and new information at the same time. We need a break to unplug and unwind!
I am proposing a COVID-19 Detox for families (Exodus 14:14). I want to challenge you and your family to take at least a 30 to 60-minute break each day. This will allow our minds (adults/parents/caregivers/children) time to settle and then reconnect with the world in a controlled manner.
Here are a few activities that will help Detox:
- Turn on inspirational, life-giving music
- Turn off the news
- Turn off your phone notifications
- Disconnect from social media
- Play a board or card game
- Make dinner or dessert together
- Watch a movie together
- Go outside for a walk (social distance from other walkers)
- Read Psalm 20, Exodus 14:14, or other stories out of the Bible together
- Read books and/or play Legos
- Make a list of things to do after your detox time
By Brit Dunaway, MA, LCPC Institute of Christian Psychology at Psychology Specialists
Britain Dunaway is a Northwoods member and licensed clinical professional counselor who graduated with a Master’s in Counseling from Lincoln Christian University. Since 2008, Brit has been teaming up with families, young adults, teens, and children over age 5 to help them effectively navigate very difficult issues. As a father of three children, he understands and empathizes with the daily struggles families encounter.